Old July 5th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default How do I keep my quilt square

The best way to keep things square, if the quilt is square before
quilting, is to quilt at an even density; but, more than that, to keep
the quilting even, for as much of the time as you can. This is rather
difficult to explain (though I could show you in no time!). Suppose
your quilt is a piece of tartan with fairly evenly spaced red lines,
yellow lines, green lines and blue lines. You would quilt all red lines
first, then the yellow lines, then the green lines and then the blue
lines. This would mean that the quilt had no opportunity to get wavy.
You will have to translate this into whatever patterns you are going to
use; but, if you - for instance- put a daisy in the top left corner, put
the next daisy in the bottom right corner rather than top right ... and
so on, maintaining a balance all the time. If you are doing an all over
pattern, try to cover as much space as you can in one go eg a whole
diagonal rather than one corner.

Cut your borders from the length of the fabric if you can, do any
joining with a diagonal join. Measure across the quilt and from top to
bottom to get the length of your borders. Ease or stretch these
lengths, rather than just sewing them onto the sides of the quilt.

HTH
..
In message .com,
MaleQuilter writes
My first few quilt projects have not hung straight and I am trying to
make sure my current project stays square. I have just now started
attaching the borders and so far everything is square and all of
measurements match up like they should.

What tips do you have for keeping everthing square during attaching
boders and quilting?

I think somehow the quilting on my last project caused the wavy way
the quilt hung. Is there a way to keep the quilting from causing a
warp in the quilt?

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

--