Old August 9th 16, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected]

Default Does the Shimpo RK-10 Super have Cone Drive or Belt Drive

Have you tried contacting Shimpo? I have had very helpful responses from Shimpo in Japan regarding parts for old wheels - they supplied a drive ring for an RK2 and a foot pedal control cable for an RK 10. Plus, for the RK 2 I found that some of the rubber mountings used on the later RK 10 are almost identical (Shimpo claim the rubber mountings for the RK 2 are discontinued) I rebuilt my RK 2 using replacement mountings and a new drive ring and it's as sweet as a nut now.

Try searching for a parts list on the Shimpo support web site. If you can quote a part number to Shimpo that will greatly help them support you.

Regarding cone drive: the RK2 uses cone drive from motor an intermediate wheel, which then uses a belt to drive the wheel head. The RK 10 (AKA RK 21) uses a "metallic traction drive" attached to the motor, which then drives a similar belt that takes power to the wheel head. The advantage of a cone drive is that the motor is running at full speed all the time, whereas a variable speed motor is running very slowly at low wheel head speeds, so is easier to stop with a heavy clay load. The RK 2 and RK 10 are tough little brutes and should easily overcome your attempts to stop them.

Good luck
Peter