Old October 27th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default fabric shops in Austin. TX

Howdy!

Almost everybody has b-b-que in Austin, most of it is delicious. g
http://www.10best.com/Austin/Restaur...cue/index.html

We always stay at the Driskill overnight in Austin, as downtown as
downtown can be. http://www.driskillhotel.com/
No fabric shops right around there, but plenty of
city buses, and pedicabs for evening traffic between the night spots.
Thursday nights are THE party night of the week in Austin, w/ crowds
of (mostly young) people doing the pub crawl, beer joints,
blues bars, comedy shows, more booze & parties.
I can put him (via you) in touch w/ some 20-somethings there who
can give the ins & outs of life in downtown Austin
(my older son lives there).

One of the must-do's on my list is tramping thru' the shops
on S.Congress. Funky, junky, antique-y, weird and fun. They all
offer something different. I like the ones that sell cheapie accessories
from Mexico (I stock up on carved, wooden cats). Digging around the
shelves turns up many an odd piece of vintage fabric and worn quilt.
Getting there by bus is easy, w/ plenty of sidewalk space for browsing.
http://www.wcities.com/en/record/,75893/36/record.html
It doesn't sparkle but it's real.

Another gotta' eat there place is Kerby Lane on South Lamar
(also accessible by bus):
Kerbey Lane Café 2700 S Lamar Blvd
Absolutely the best pancakes I've ever tasted, esp. the gingerbread
ones (I have a recipe for these and it's always a hit w/ family
and guests). It's not fancy, but it's delish.

Local memorabilia? Well, we got the tur..er.. what's his name
out of the state, mostly (he's not from here anyway) so there's
very little furor for or against his royal pain-in-the-buttness in
Austin. But there are still plenty of yahoos near the Capitol,
maybe we can send the current piker aka Governor Good Hair
(thanks, Molly Ivins) to your part of the world; for good/ever. g
Right now it's pretty much campaign buttons and the Texas Flag
everywhere.
Don't know about the vampire types but there's the every night
Flight of the Bats on Congress Ave:
http://www.austincityguide.com/conte...ats-austin.asp
again, right there in downtown, accessible via the city bus or
by walking.

Happy Trails/Travels to Marion's son.

Ragmop/Sandy--north of Austin in n.Tx. ;-)

On 10/27/06 11:33 AM, in article Txq0h.254755$1i1.3062@attbi_s72, "KJ"
wrote:

I'm going to save this message too. I'm going to be in Austin for a
percussion convention the week after next. BBQ...yum!
KJ

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
Marion's son is going to be in Austin, Texas next week.

Is there a *good* fabric shop somewhere in the town centre?
Has to be easy to get to by public transport or walking, he
won't have the use of a car.

I'm talking to DSis right now and she looked in the Yellow Pages but
couldn't find any fab shops in the downtown area that he could walk to.
The "music" part of town is on 6th St. and she says it should be walking
distance from a downtown.
He MUST try Texas barbecue and DSis says he could walk to Whole Foods,
INL HQ which is a humongous market with a restaurant inside that sells
good BBQ. It is also walking distance from downtown on 6th & LaMarr.
Another downtown restaurant that serves fairly good BBQ is Pokey Joes.
She says none of the places in the music district have good BBQ -- other
types f good food, just not BBQ.

Jack wrote:
Marion's son is going to be in Austin, Texas next week.

Is there a *good* fabric shop somewhere in the town centre?
Has to be easy to get to by public transport or walking, he
won't have the use of a car.

And is there anything local to Texas he could get? (Thinking of
something with a repeat of Bush dynasty portraits that could be
embroidered with pistol-range target patterns or luminous vampire
teeth...).

Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557