Old March 24th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass,sci.chem
Bernhard Kuemel

Default making laminated glass tubes

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Bernhard Kuemel writes:

I have glass tubes filled with liquid CO2 at high pressure and need to
make it safe in case the tube explodes.

Really, in glass? What is the application?

To demonstrate the critical point. There's an image of one on
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kritisc...(Thermodynamik) .

"Double bagging" seems a fool's errand. Things just cascade until the
energy is absorbed.

The technology is applied in e.g. car windows.

You must disperse the energy,

I believe, a glass tube can take the pressure of the CO2 shock wave.
Only the splinters that hit the tube make it break, and the pressure
then drives the splinters away. But liquid or resin layer between 2
concentric glass tubes will prevent splinters hitting the outer glass
tube and disperse the impact pressure evenly.

Maybe it doesn't actually matter much, what middle layer I use. But if
the device breaks from external force a simple (viscous) liquid filler
would not hold the pieces together and then it might be dangerous if the
pressure tube exploded.

such as through a stainless mesh.

The protective tube shall be completely clear to allow good vision of
the critical point events.

Bernhard