Old March 18th 09, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass,sci.chem
Bernhard Kuemel

Default making laminated glass tubes

Hi!

I have glass tubes filled with liquid CO2 at high pressure and need to
make it safe in case the tube explodes. Currently I put it in a
protective polycarbonate tube, but I'm worried the PC might not last
long enough. Some of the tubes might be in use for 100+ years. They are
meant to be viewed by students/pupils in schools and universities. There
will probably be little UV exposure, but some tubes may be on display
permanently, though still inside.

So ... what would be the best material to fill the gap between 2
concentric glass tubes? Polyester, Epoxide, PU, Polycarbonate,
Polyvinylbutyral, ...? It should be managable with low tech equipment.

How opaque is (borosilicate) glass to UV?

Thanks, Bernhard