Old November 3rd 04, 04:22 PM
Ted Frater

Jack Schmidling wrote:
"Ted Frater"

Id also put a center into the handle end and support that in a running
center as the knife blade is likely to be not strong wenough to take the
cutting load.

I guess I was talking faster than I was thinking.. there is also the fork to
deal with. I might just be easier to rough cut it with the band saw and
then round it on the belt sander. If I need a better fit I could then put
it in the lathe to touch up.

js

Holding a fork in a 4 jaw lathe chuck could be difficult.
how about using say a 3in long by what ever the width the fork is across
the tines piece of medium hard square wood.
Put the fork edgeon top of the wood with the shank down the centerline
of the wood and draw around it.
then go to your band saw and cut out the wood between the lines. This
would then be the holder for the fork in the 4 jaw chuck. youd then be
able to safely hold and turn the shank assuming you put a center in the
shank end. Take a small cut if the metal above the tines is thin. you
dont want to twist it off!.
Im currently trying to get a 7in by 3.5in cast iron pulley off a 1 1/4
shaft. siezed on( been there 50 years!) Will have to heat it red hot.
Need to change the bearings.