Old June 28th 04, 11:36 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/27/04 6:24 PM, in article , "Dianne
Lewandowski" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Required reading in college for the survey of "modern literature"

Ah. Thank goodness I had a different teacher! It's really impossible,
in 2 years, to cover all this stuff. Lots of Shakespeare in high
school, late 19th and early 20th century literature.

Each teacher has his own bent. My high school history teacher talked me
into reading Mein Kampf. Well, I never finished it, but felt lucky to
have him as a teacher. He was very much into the "why" things happened.
He made us think. I wasn't a terribly good student in those days. As
I said earlier, a very late bloomer.

Dianne

The high school modern lit class was a six month honors class - we did a
bunch of the absurdist playwrights, Ibsen, Flaubert, Sartre, some of the
30's crime novels, Grapes of Wrath, Asimov - all genres, the only
requirement was that was written after 1900. Over 100 pages of reading a
night.
The college survey class was focused on the absurdist and some the related
writers.

Cheryl