Old January 15th 10, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default What's your favorite?

On Jan 14, 11:26*am, "I.E.Z." wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

Oh, yes. I've done a lot of scrappy quilts, and I look at those pieces
really
fondly. I was sad to see them used up.
On the other end of the spectrum, I've bought (make that, hoarded)
fabric I
absolutely loved four years ago, and now I don't love so much. But
that was
when I first started learning to quilt, I think my taste in colors/
patterns has
developed and changed since then.

This last part has happened to me too, and it's why I try to make myself use
my *favorite* fabrics, even if I want to hoard them. *There were quite a few
that I hoarded so long that I didn't like them anymore! *Lately, every time
I catch myself thinking *"I might do another project sometime where this
fabric *might* work better" * I remind myself, *"You are not immortal, what
are you saving this for?" * This has actually been kind of working!

Iris ( but still hoarding that perfect purple that I should have bought more
of - drat!)

Well, thanks for that -- it's nice to to know someone else does that.
I positively
adored 3 Sisters Faded Memories, the pink and green, when it first
came out
about 4 years ago. I have a whole box of it, and can't seem to figure
out what
to do with it. Still like it, but not so much, and it just gets pushed
back in favor
of bolder colors.
When I very first started quilting, LQS lady said there is a rule
about that. She said,
"If you really like a piece of fabric, buy 1 yard. If you really love
it, buy 3 yards. If
you absolutely adore it and can't live without it, buy 6 yards."
It's a good thing I didn't listen to her about the six-yard part.

Sherry