Old February 25th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default OT:Bad English teachers (was OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt)

So put me out of my misery
How do you pronounce "phthisis"?
--
Cheryl (who has a complete collection of TL songs on CD!)
& the Cats in OZ

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
(snip)
: The one I remember was "phthisis" A bit after the above
episode we
: had a sort of competitive test to see how good our
pronunuciation was.
: We had to read out a list of words of ever-increasing
difficulty and
: obscurity. I was way ahead of the rest of the class, and
made it all
: through the list until that one, which was the very last
item. The
: frustrating thing was that I knew *how* to pronounce it,
and what the
: word meant; I just couldn't physically do it, thanks to
having a cleft
: palate and at that point no denture to articulate that
consonant
: cluster on. (I've since acquired a fascination for
languages like
: Georgian that have gigantic pile-ups of consonants - I can
roll off
: placenames like "Mtskheta" with no problem at all).
: