Old December 14th 05, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Kittens scratching sofa

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:52:07 -0500, "She in PA"
wrote:

I have three kittens one is 6 months old and the other two are 4 months old.
All of them like to law at the end of the sofa. I have tried spraying them
didn't work. I tried chasing them with a paper bag with noisy things in it.
I just looked like a fool running around the house. Then when I sat the bag
down they would go and play with it. I am getting a new sofa is there any
suggestions besides getting them de-clawed\? I don't like doing that.

She in PA

One thing I forgot to mention was that I was very strict with Sasha
when she was young. I brought her home when she was 8 weeks old, and
my regime was "firm but fair". She was crawling with fleas and ear
mites, all feasting on her delicate kitten flesh. The first thing I
did was give her a flea bath in the bathroom sink - I held her in one
hand and washed with the other.... boy that stuff lathers.... I had to
rinse and rinse and rinse... and she never complained through the
whole thing. She is really very patient and intelligent.
After that came a dose of ear mite medication in each ear. We both
needed a break, so I made dinner while she looked for her real Mama
Cat. I then clipped her claws (should have done that before the bath,
but she was so good it wasn't necessary). I have clipped her claws
every 2 weeks ever since. We have a little understanding - she can
scratch her post as much as she wants, but I'm going to clip those
claws every fortnight.
So I'd say, get those kittens used to having their claws clipped! I
bought a special little pair of clippers that grabs at the nail from
each direction at the same time - so much easier than trying to use
human nail clippers! I think it cost about $10 but I've had it for 12
years and it's not dull or anything. I'm sure pet shops would know
what I'm talking about, and would carry them.

-- Jo in Scotland