Old December 13th 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Kittens scratching sofa

This will sound funny, but I inadvertently taught my dog to scold the
cat when he claws at things. Pippen likes to claw at an upholstered
ottoman that I have by the window. I usually just have to yell his name
and he stops, but now my dog will bark and chase him away from the
ottoman without me having to say a thing.
My other two cats use a scratching pole. I made a "bad boy can" by
putting a few pebbles in a soda can and I rattle or throw it towards any
cat or dog who is being mischevious, not to hit them, but to scare them.
It works great. When my big dog starts barking at things for no reason,
all I have to say is, "Where's the can?" and he shuts right up.

Denise