Old January 22nd 04, 05:39 PM
Trish Brown

I got frustrated, having to change ironing board covers so often and so I made
my own by the methods most people have suggested (ie lay board on floor, trace
pattern etc). I was lucky enough to find a cheap (three dollars) cotton blanket
and felt this, folded, was perfect for the padding on my board. It's thick, has
never 'tamped down' and is easily washable. It withstands high heat really well
and the only problem has been that I *should* have shrunk it before putting it
on the board. After the first wash, it shrank quite a bit, but that was OK,
since I hadn't cut it to fit, simply bound it round the board.

For the cover, I used a bit of heavy grey cotton drill that I'd bought to make
tough school pants for DS. It's lasted all these - hmmm - ten years! It's grey,
which is nice: I'm not a fan of those big, blowsy, frowsy floral prints! It just
has a hem on it and I threaded some stout nylon cord through that to pull it
tight.

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia