Old October 20th 03, 04:15 PM
chunk

Try google groups to read the newsgroup if you are having trouble with the
ISP. The messages stay there forever.

Chunk

"Jeff S. " wrote in message
I am going to have a jeweller custom make a 14k gold signet ring for me
soon. The gold he'll be using will be supplied by me in the form of
either one or two 1/4 oz., 24 karat solid gold Kuggerand coins. Of
course what he'll do is make a wax model, weight it, and then tell me
how much 24 K gold he's going to need for the ring, taking into account
that he'll be adding metals to it to bring it down to 14 karats. What I
need to know, to make sure I'm not getting ripped off, is how many
ounces (or grams or pennyweight) of 14 K gold will a 24 K ounce of gold
yield? In other words, if he hypothetically says the ring will weigh
1/8 ounce at 14 K, then how much 24 K gold will he need to make the
ring?

Can it be stated that 1 ounce of 24 K gold will yield X ounces of 14 K
gold?

While I do my best to deal with my IP's newsgroup service, on occasion
I do not get to check the groups to see replies to my postings for the
mere nanosecond they're actually left up on the server. So please also
send an e mail copy of your answer to me at .
Remove the X's before sending.

Thanks much,

Jeff