Old October 28th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default Shift to fusing

On Oct 27, 11:22 pm, Michael wrote:
I don't remember what the thread was, but someone mentioned that
traditional leaded glass work appears to be in decline with a growing
popularity in baking it. I got a Bullseye catalog today in the mail
and the truth in that statement is verified by the emphasis in their
catalog. Shake and bake.

Michael

Not only has popular interest shifted to kilnforming, but much of the
work traditionally done as stained glass (windows & lampshades) is now
being done as single fused pieces or incorporating kilnformed or
torchworked components. Our shop has always done a lot of glass
panels for cabinet doors. Now, we do about 1/3rd stained glass and
2/3rd kilnformed - often with design matching backsplash tiles and
lighting scones. We're now working on a set of windows for a church
commission in which about half the pieces in the designs are
kilnformed.

I believe the shift towards kilnforming and torchworking will
continue. Traditional leaded glass will always be around (so will
blacksmiths), but will become an increasingly smaller percentage of
glass art.