Old September 24th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

This is one of my favourite patterns.
I have only used it once, though. I didn't have a pattern, and it was
early in my quilting life, so I found a quilt made with the block. I
worked out the block, and reproduced it in the size I wanted. However,
I didn't notice that half of 'the block' was sashing. So, I included
the sashing twice. Grrrr. But I didn't know any better at the time.
(Our Internet connection is iffy at the moment, so I can't get to see
those pictures, but I assume that's what you meant by the double
sashing?).
One of our really good quilting ladies - Gwenfai Rees Griffiths - made a
most beautiful SAS quilt, but her colour placement was very different
from the usual one. Thereafter I looked very carefully at how folk
who've made these quilts have placed the colours. It can make an
amazing difference.

I find it fascinating to see how an extremely simple 'block' - the
centre - can be completely transformed by the addition of a pieced
sashing (in the same way as those sashings with corners of contrasting
colours can make stars at the intersections. This is such a very 'cool'
way to do things.

One of these days, I might try a miniature in this pattern. I think it
would go very well in a small scale.

I'll try to have a look at the pictures in the morning - if the Internet
gnomes will let me!

Thanks for raising this block as our focus this time. I hope to learn
lots about it.

In message U3BRg.3864$vC3.997@dukeread02, Pat in Virginia
writes
Focus on Design is my once in a while thread. I start one when the
moods strikes. The purpose it to discuss the design elements of a
designated quilt top. This is not the place to talk about chocolate,
sewing machines, kids or other popular issues. Please reserve those for
other threads. In this thread, let's FOCUS ON DESIGN: STORM AT SEA QUILTS!

Here are two from Debi's album ... these are quilts she photographed
at a recent quilt show. The first, Marie Karickhoff's Red Tide, is the
traditional S@S setting with an uncommon red and white color way. It
carries some of the block elements into the border.
http://tinyurl.com/hl7oz
The second one, Kim Moore's Tropical Storm, has a unique setting, and a
unique multicolored variation. It has Virginia Reel blocks in the
border.
http://tinyurl.com/mmx83

Here is a coloring page with a S@S 'quilt' design.
http://tinyurl.com/oq99j I do not care for the 'double sashing' or
whatever you might call that. I like the 'single' version as in Red
Tide, above. The Quilter's Cache Version also has the 'double sashing'
look.
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/StormAtSeaBlock.html

If you want to see some patterns, go to Block Central and click on any
of the three links. http://tinyurl.com/oq99j

Sew, do you have a Storm At Sea Quilt? Steve in Alaska said he made one
ages ago. I hope he posts a photo of that one. I have been 'saving
blues & greens' for one for ages. Maybe this thread will give me the
push to start! How about you?

PAT in Virginia, USA

--
Best Regards