Old August 26th 03, 01:18 AM
georg

The Nielands wrote:
So what's the first quilt you remember (even if it was from just last year)?

Mum made patchwork covers for very old blankets that were showing their
wear for my sister and I as our main blankets when we first had twin
beds. So I've always loved the patchwork. And the first quilt proper was
one that stayed in her room on the foot of her bed. It was a LeMoyne
star with a white background. I know the fabrics aren't 100% cotton, but
it was all hand sewn.

It wasn't until I was Jr. High, when my mom decided to get serious about
making more quilts, and mine would be the first one she was going to
make. I had to pick the pattern (Storm at Sea) and the three fabrics
(all lavender with one a bit darker), and she did all the stitching (by
hand). I still have it. It's terribly stained with coffee and
highlighting markers, but gosh, it's still together. And I've watched
her produce a quilt a year for about 15 years. She's since stopped or
slowed down, and switched back to her constant love of counted cross
stitch... but I've learned a great deal just from watching her and
seeing her quilts. And we've gone to LQS's and quilt shows together just
for the joy of it.

-georg