Old May 15th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Default Hand quilting frame

I bet John has one half quilted already

Pauline
Northern California
"Patti" wrote in message
That's really lovely. Isn't that cherry wood a gorgeous colour.
I'm sure you'll enjoy hand quilting - but, you'll have to be prepared for
it to be slow. Judging by the speed you have done everything else so far,
you might have to give yourself a little talking to in preparation!
.
In message . com, John
writes
Ok, after much thought I have decided to try once again to hand quilt
a few quilts. I have exhumed the beautiful cherry hand quilting frame
that I bought when I first started this madness. It was made by a
local 80+ year old craftsman who has since passed away. I tried to get
up and running with it a couple of years ago and didn't have much luck
with the methods that I assumed were necessary at the time having come
from a needlepoint background. Now with a better understanding of the
requirements to hand quilt I will be attempting to get this phase of
the sport firmly within the grasp of this rapidly aging brain. I
visited some Amish quilt shops this last weekend and was inspired with
the beautiful work that they have done with just a needle and thread.
I have ordered some longer poles to allow the fitting of a queen size
quilt to be made within the frame and also another set of poles that
are shorter for use with crib/lap sized quilts. Another thing I am
going to attempt is machine freehand quilting on a Grace machine
quilting frame. Not for awhile though, as the hand quilting frame set
up takes up all the space that I have in the quilt room. They both
break down and can be stored when each is not in use. I guess the
thing is to never get complacent about your skills, and always be
willing to challenge yourself. I am now looking forward to bringing
this fine piece of equipment back into the light of day from the dark
recesses of the black hole of the attic. The repository of things that
didn't go quite as you planned. Wish me luck. Here is a picture of the
frame as it emerged from the attic storage with the shorted poles in
place.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635wCyIDw

John

--