Old July 30th 03, 01:44 AM
H. J. Corney

for rec.crafts.jewelry please peter
In article , "H. J. Corney"
writes:
=20
any manufacturer of any nationality can
register a hall mark with the UK assay offices.
=20
But I guess the bad Italian ones don't want to......?

=20
Or maybe don't want to pay the fee? Unless Britain is less beaurocratic a=

nd
less tax/fee-crazy than her former colony, the costs may be prohibative,
especially if they also need to get ECC and/or Italian certification. And=

from
whatever other country demands its certification as a condition for impor=

ts.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities
=20

Registration is I think =A325.00 for 10 years. The actual hallmarking costs a
very modest 31p per item.

The hallmark adds considerably more value to the item than the 31p it costs=
..

In my opinion there is no good reason not to get a hallmark in the UK unles=
of course your work is not "up to scratch" in which case they will smash it
to bits and return the broken pieces to the maker.

That's real consumer protection :-) I wish it applied to cars, household
goods etc and not just jewellery.

There is now a "save the Hallmark" campaign c/o

Henry Curteis
"Save the british hallmark"
Ellesmere
Shropshire
SY12 9EG
E-mail

Please write to your MP if you live in the UK and care about our traditions

You can find your MP at
http://www.parliament.uk
and your MEP at
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/meps.htm

Cheers all from Hillary who has had a name mark since 1975
--=20

Hillary Corney

Designer Silversmith and Jeweller
http://www.designersilversmiths.com