Old October 26th 03, 03:22 AM
Dewitt

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:48:28 -0500, "NoSpam" wrote:

Why can't one put glaze on Greenware? I don't understand...
I think the glaze would just soke into the greenware and leave the color
The glaze is just a glass sealer. What would happend if one glazed
greenware?
Does the greenware shrink in the kiln? Can someone explain?

You can and some potters do. It's call raw firing. There are
definitely some advantages to bisqueing before glazing - it burns the
nasties out of the clay before the glaze firing and it makes the
pieces easier to glaze. Also, glazes intended for bisque work may not
work well on pieces that haven't been bisqued. Glazes for raw firing
typically have a high clay content.

deg