Old April 28th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dbeitzell

Default Disappearing Nine Patch - Math help

On Apr 28, 1:58*am, "Jeri" wrote:
Dannielle wrote:
Ok, so I want to make a disappearing nine patch...but how big do I
make the original squares so that my final piece ends up being 12"
finished? *I came up with 4 2/3" and that is totally not making any
sense in my brain. *I don't have the oomph to actually give it a try
and take it apart and redo it when I mess it up....

Thanks!
Dannielle

You're right. The squares you start with should be 4 2/3".

No matter what size you want your D9P to be, the finished size of your
starting 9 patch always needs to be 1/2" larger than the finished size of
the final D9P. So if you want your D9P to be 12" finished then the starting
9 patch needs to be 12 1/2" finished. Divide 12 1/2" by 3 and you get 4.17".
Add your seam allowances and you get a starting patch of 4.67".
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Jeri,

Thanks! That really helps!

Dannielle