Old April 28th 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Disappearing Nine Patch - Math help

On Apr 27, 7:01*pm, Dannielle wrote:
Ok, so I want to make a disappearing nine patch...but how big do I
make the original squares so that my final piece ends up being 12"
finished? *I came up with 4 2/3" and that is totally not making any
sense in my brain. *I don't have the oomph to actually give it a try
and take it apart and redo it when I mess it up....

Thanks!
Dannielle

Less than 1/8" under 7", according to my math. I'd never heard of a
disappearing nine-patch, so I did a quick google, and what I found
suggested that you begin with 3 equal-sized 9-patches, then cut them
into quaters. After that... things differ, but one winds up sewing
the pieces back together into some final configuration. In your case,
you want that to be 12" square, right?

If this is what you're doing, then your final 12" square (144 sq. in.)
divided by 3 component 9-squares = 48 sq. in. ea. The square root of
48 (to make the original 9-patch squares) is a little less than 7.

So if you started with 7" blocks (after squaring, as described on the
sources I read), you should be in the ballpark, + or -.

Doc Smith