Old May 4th 04, 03:44 PM
Dr. Quilter

but but stuffed doesn't mean you need more than one thickness, right?

Patti wrote:

Hullo Leslie
(and Simon/Salmon/Sammy!)
Full binding:
There was a beautiful explanatory post on here some while ago from Kathy
(the teacher/judge) on bindings. I printed it out, but I'd have to find
it for you to be exact on a quote. Someone else also posted about this
recently, (maybe Roberta?), and I think the gist of it was that when you
square up, instead of cutting to the quarter of an inch - if you are
doing a quarter inch binding, leave it to three eighths or half an inch,
so that you have to roll the sandwich onto itself to fit inside the
binding. I suppose you *could* trim off the extra top and backing if
you wanted to, but I wouldn't have thought that was necessary.
If you wanted to push in some extra stuffing, as you bind, I think
trapunto 'cord' would be a better option than poly batting, as it is
already exactly the right shape.
HTH
.
In article , Leslie in
Missouri writes

Okay. When I finish a quilt thru the quilting and do my squaring up, I
have always just laid rulers to the quilted sandwich and squared it with
my trusty rotary cutter. Now, I have heard (on this ng, no less!) that
my binding needs to be "full". How does one square the quilted sandwich
and still leave a margin of batting around the edges to "fill" the
binding? Could I add batting back on the edge of the quilted sandwich
by sewing a one inch (or so) strip of batting on along with the binding?
Could I lightly stuff the binding with poly-fill by poking it with a
narrow dowel as I hand sew the back side of the binding down? This
isn't sounding like fun and I don't much like the binding process any
way.... and usually it's all done by machine on *my* quilts at that.
Ideas?

On a lighter note- my precious Simon dog is a 2 yr. old Golden
Retriever/Chow Chow- a breed that originated in China. He's a rather
"exotic" looking, fun-loving, energetic, mischievous, BIG guy with
black-ringed slanted eyes and a black tongue, short floppy ears, a broad
short-ish nosed head and a slick, short deep golden-red coat and he
loves me passionately. I have always affectionately mangled my pets'
names--- Simon has become Simey and Slimey-Simey and Salmon and Sammy
and a few other names as the occasion warrants. Susan, our dog trainer,
and I discussed what to tell the 4H kids in my obedience class when they
inquire what breed Simey is...... we have made a decision. Now, he's
the first, last and only, member of the unofficial breed "Golden Chinese
Fishhead"! ;-)

Leslie and The (much loved) Four Furbabies

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens