Old August 7th 03, 02:28 AM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

Have to agree with "terry" about the potting method. Used this many times
while still in
the work force. (retired) Don't know what else
is available in your lab, but we did both refractive
and elemental analysis. The sample should be
small and can be lapped on the lapping wheel
using diamond pastes of reducing micron grits.

Unless you need to get into the organic parts of
the glass, a scanning electron micrscope fitted
with energy dispersive x-ray will give you elements
down to carbon, but not below. Good luck, and
let us know how you finally accomplished it.

Hal

"jad_23" wrote in message
om...
"Mike Firth" wrote in message

What do you want to do when you are done?
Are you examining the glass? Are you assembling these thin slices?

Are
you covering something small?

Yes - I am examining the glass both physically (refractive index) and
chemically (elemental analysis). I want a thin cross section of the
3mm thickness of the piece.

How thin? 3mm? (Square) 0.3mm? (thickness of 3 sheets of light

aluminum
foil)

As thin as possible I guess - is it possible to get it down to 0.3mm
without it breaking?