Old December 23rd 05, 07:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default pinking shears sharpening? (US)

Andy Dingley wrote in part:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 00:38:37 GMT, Elizabeth Young
wrote:

I have tried to get my Wiss pinking shears sharpened locally.

It's pretty much impossible to sharpen pinking shears.
Also, most pinking shears simply _can't_ be sharpened - they take
their adjustment from the pivot and so you need to dismantle them and
work on the pivots to get the set right again. If they're not
maunfactured to allow this, then it's really not practical.
On the bright side, scissors rarely need full sharpening anyway.

Well, it looks like mine are made to be taken apart, and I do believe
that the adjustment is off, because if I jam the blades together as I
cut, most of the shear cuts.

Now, where did I put that oil....

liz young in cool california