Old January 10th 04, 03:52 PM
Harry

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:35:53 GMT, "C Ryman" wrote:

Hi Harry,
Can rocks be polished in a sonic vibrating machine? I would like something
that can do silver polishing with steel shot and polish very small amounts
of rock like opal. My regular tumbler is a piece of crap that squeaks all
the time; I can tell the lid wont last long. I haven't been able to fine
any real specific details on rock polishing with vibratory or sonic
machines.
Thanks

First and formost... oil that squeaky guy... he will love you for it!
Yes... you can polish rocks and or anything else in a vibatory tumbler. If you put a square rock into a tumbler it will
come out round. If you put a square rock into a vibratory tumbler it will come out square, just smooth.
There are several Advantages and Disadvantages of both tumbling and vibratory. If money allows
I would recommend purchasing both. NO... I do not have a vibratory tumbler, but you can
bet as soon as I can afford one there will be one in my house. Word of caution!!! They are VERY noisy!
Why? Because they "shake" and not turn. So they tend to create a lot of vibrations.. hench the name. lol
Here is an excellent webpage to expolore your options and to also determine what size tumbler will fit your
needs and as in my case... your wallet. or purse.
http://www.pearsons-uslj.com/tumblers.htm
Another note to remember: Different tumblers require different grits... as also... diferent rocks will also require
different grits as well as different polishes. As you explore the world of tumbling you will find out just how much fun
and how fasinating it is. As you progress throught the stages and see the transformations, you will be amazed.
The glory and the wide-eyed stare comes from the end of the polishing stage. When you open that tumbler and pour the
contents out and while you are running water over the items and you see that glow... the only thing I have come close to
the words to describe what you will see is what I have imagined many a pirate has saw... Pure Beautiful Treasure! )

My most recent and treasured item I have bought is my 12 pound Lorton BEHEMOTH tumbler and I got it he
http://www.kingsleynorth.com/tumblersr.html
You can place a 3 pound coffee can inside of the barrel! I was totally amazed at the size of this monster!

Here is a good source to check for purchase of a vibratory tumbler, as I get ALL my supplies and tumblers
from here now. Excellent service and very quick shipping and the prices can't be beat.
http://www.kingsleynorth.com/tumblersv.html

Hot dog can that man ramble or what? lol I do hope I answered your question as I tend to wonder of into my own little
world and forget why I went there. heheheh
My Ebay Auctions are at http://snipurl.com/3okw