Old February 22nd 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Default OT: The Congenitally Grammar-Picky (was OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt)

No Edward, what we are talking about is not the result of evolving
language. We are talking about the mangling of standard usage --
grammar and spelling -- by people who should know better or who should
employ a proofreader.

As for geographic differences in pronunciation: I find most local
dialects to be lovely to hear. The spoken language has great poetry in
it. But when one goes on the air as a professional, either a news
person or a spokesperson for an important organization/agency, that
person has a responsibility to speak properly. It's fine and dandy to
have an accent, but accents seldom account for the truly ignorant
pronunciations that one hears coming from public servants who should
know better.

As for OT -- I think this discussion is completely on topic. We are
quilters and we spend a lot of time making certain colors work
together, points match, lines are straight.....how can we not carry
that precision and care over to language? I really believe that there
is a similarity between quilting and writing. I think that's why this
"caught" me when I lost my ability to write for a living. This
discussion isn't just about words. It's about who we are as quilters.
We are people of precision and care. We are really discussing the
things that make us good quilters. Our eyes, ears, senses and internal
"gyroscope" if you will. I find this topic totally on topic.

Sunny

On Feb 21, 10:32 pm, Edward W. Thompson
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:43:18 -0500, WitchyStitcher
wrote:

It's the pronunciations that get to me. I have been stressing to my
students that if they pronounce words correctly, they will be more
likely to spell them correctly.

Then I walked into a 5th grade classroom where the teacher had written
the date as Valentines Day, Febuary 14, 2007.

snip

This is an interesting subject albeit OT. However, how do you address
the differences with pronunciation between regions? Who determines
what is correct and incorrect? How do you account for the very
significant differences or, more correctly, changes in the meaning of
words, take 'gay' for example or 'cool'.

The big strength of the English language and no doubt other languages
is they change through common usage to reflect the needs of the users
and pressures of the time. While I agree with everyone on the
irritation of mispronunciation, bad grammar, mangled use of words, I'm
afraid this is the result of working in a 'living' and 'dynamic'
language.