Old February 22nd 07, 09:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default OT: The Congenitally Grammar-Picky (was OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt)

Yes Edward - but one of my college subjects was advanced Latin gg

Deduce what you wish ...!
..
In message , Edward W.
Thompson writes
snip

This is an interesting subject albeit OT. However, how do you address
the differences with pronunciation between regions? Who determines
what is correct and incorrect? How do you account for the very
significant differences or, more correctly, changes in the meaning of
words, take 'gay' for example or 'cool'.

The big strength of the English language and no doubt other languages
is they change through common usage to reflect the needs of the users
and pressures of the time. While I agree with everyone on the
irritation of mispronunciation, bad grammar, mangled use of words, I'm
afraid this is the result of working in a 'living' and 'dynamic'
language.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill