Old September 16th 04, 09:53 PM
Kaytee

In article , "Su/Cutworks"
writes:

Vermeil is silver plated with gold. First choice for materials?
Gold filled is a sheet of gold bonded to another metal, no telling what the
metal is sometimes. Second best?
Gold plate is gold over brass usually, so least desireable of the three.

Actually, "first choice" would be solid gold/gold alloy... IF you can justify
the expense.

If economy is necessary: Vermeil is "first choice" if you need "all precious
metal", but the gold layer is usually thinner than gold-filled. If that
bead/finding is going to get a lot of wear, you will probably end up with a
silver bead with gold accents. However, I've used vermeil earwires that have
lasted the recipients several years, and are "still gold". If the bead/spacer
is protected-- say by a larger bead to each side-- there shouldn't be a
problem. The "Bali vermeil", and other Hong kong processed vermeil tends to be
a brighter, more yellow gold than the US made-- maybe too bright for some
things. The "Bali vermeil" dealer I've bought most of mine from has 22K,
"double dipped" plating on hers.

Gold fill is usually the thickest coating, usually on brass, and is rolled
(physically bonded) to the metal, not plated on electrically. Usually either
14K or 10K is used for the gold layer(s), so the "goldness" is softer than most
vermeil.

Gold plate is great for "costume jewelry"-- something for a one or two time use
for "fun" stuff, but otherwise, I'd say get gold-colored pewter or anodised
aluminum or niobium.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com