Old September 18th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lemel_man

Default rolling mill questions

Abrasha wrote:

I have a table in one of my German training books, that has a chart that lists
the dimensions of rectangular wire you end up with from on a number of
dimensions of square wire as starting points.

If you want a strip of width W, thickness T, a pretty good approximation
of the side S of square wire that you start with is...

S = Cube root of (W squared times T) or S = (W**2 * T)**(1/3)

For example, you want a strip 2 by 0.25mm, you roll a square wire of
side Cube root of (4 x .25) = Cube root of 1 = 1

I have only one rolling mill so I haven't tried with rolls of different
diameter. Mine are 65mm.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding