Old September 18th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default rolling mill questions

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 07:52:26 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

Not true! Ted, there you go again! Once again you speak of things you do not
know about, a bit too soon.

Lets not get personal, shall we?

And why not, if he has made a factual sounding statement that is not correct?
[[this paragraph edited by moderator]]

And though I'd agree with you, Abrasha, about rolling down wire, Ted's not
entirely wrong either,

Oh yes he is.

IF his experience and comments refer more to rolling down
stock that starts out wider. If you start with an ingot that's an inch or two
wide, and then likely around a quarter inch thick

Oh give me a break Peter. That is not wire! That is heavy plate! Any wire, I
repeat ANY wire, whether is is 1.2 square or round or 10, or 20 mm, will spread
laterally a great deal more than 2-4%. And the bigger the reduction in
thickness each step when rolling, the bigger the lateral growth.

such as most ingot molds
produce,

Like I said, that is not wire, but an ingot, which is plate (or sheet, if it is
thinner). I rest my case.

the lateral spreading will be a fairly low percentage. No doubt this
is where Ted's comments spring from.

No it is not. The original poster was clearly talking about 1.2 mm wire. And
Ted's response was: "IE your 1.2mm wire will go down to the thinness you want
BUT wont get any wider!!."

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com