Old March 28th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default how do I begin?

1) My very first (and I admit, my favorite) pottery teacher always
stressed that we "don't get attached to the results." It is important,
early on and forever, to realize that not all of your pots will make
it. Some will be dropped and misshappen when they are still wet, some
will get bumped and cracked when bone dry, some will break in the first
firing, some glazes will crawl, or not be the color you wanted, or not
fit the clay and crack. (I could go on, but this is getting
depressing!)

So just remember, in the begining it is more important to learn the
craftsmanship well, than to produce lots of work.

2) Think in terms of the physical properties and limitations of clay
as a material. Let the clay teach you about these limitations. It is
all about learning that perfect balance between strength and gentleness
of your touch. Learn how to work with these limitations, and don't
fight them (unless you get real brave down the road )

3) Look at as many pots as possible. Go to your local library and see
if they have back issues of ceramics monthly. Search for pots online.
This will keep you motivated as well as exposing you to the vast array
of techniques and possibilities.

Three things that haven't been mentioned already are all I can think
of. (Scoop is really right on)

The best of luck to you, and keep us updated on how you are doing!
Anna
www.freewebs.com/annaspots