Old August 5th 03, 02:16 PM
Louis Cage

As mentioned already, check and make sure the kiln is getting power.
Sometimes on a 220v circuit there are two fuses/breakers in the fusebox.
Use a meter to check the power outlet. Check and see if the kiln has any
internal fuses/breakers. This should take care of it. I have done what you
did before I started using the timer method. (see below)
Visually inspect the kiln for breaks in the elements. Sometimes the element
will break and you can hook the two broken ends together and it will work
for a while. Kiln elements are very brittle after they have been fired so
be very careful. Also make sure kiln is unplugged before you go messing
with the elements, which are uninsulated wires.
If all else fails, you can order replacement elements. They are not that
expensive and fairly easy to replace. There is a book, "The Kiln Book"
(what an original title) that should have info to help you (and there is
usually a used copy on Ebay).
Actually forget all that, buy a new kiln and ship your old kiln to me!
Also, one thing I do to help me remember to check the kiln is I set a
kitchen timer for 15 minutes. When it goes off, I check the kiln and reset
it for another 15 minutes. That way I don't get distracted with something
else and forget.

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques
"saucy" wrote in message
Well I finally killed my kiln. I hate having ADHD! UHG! I feel asleep
today for about an hour and I forgot it was on. When I woke up the place
smelled funny and I realized I left it on. The glass was in a puddle and

didn't dare open the kiln. When I tried it tonight it won't even heat

above
10 degrees.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Can I get it fixed or do I just need to
purchase a new kiln?