Old December 13th 04, 04:03 AM
Debra

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:16:17 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Mike Behrent wrote:
The adhesive velcro is junk. You can't even sew it later without making a
mess of the needle and breaking thread. It's better to use something like
glu-pins and regular velcro so once it's ste a bit you can sew it down.
"Debra" wrote in message

I've never found it to be junk, but then I've only ever used the real
stuff rather than cheap imitations. It works very well for suitable
applications. It comes in several types: sew-in both sides, sew in
fuzzy/stick-on hooks and the reverse, and sticky both sides.

You need to ensure that the surface to be stuck is really clean and
grease free. You also need to press it down really well on the
receiving surface. And it doesn't stick well in damp conditions.

I think mine staying put for 14+ years is fairly reasonable. It wasn't
the Velcro that made me change my mind about Roman blinds, it was the
cords wearing out every year or so.

Kate, I think I've found the reason the sticky back velcro didn't work
for me, but did for you. I too have only used the Velcro brand, on
several projects, but I live in Virginia in the south eastern USA. We
have a humid climate, especially during the summer. The only way the
sticky back glue would hold up here is if it were used in an area
totally climate controlled. I've considered the sticky back Velcro to
be junk for years because of my own experiences with it. I had no
idea it could be the fault of the climate rather than the product's
glue.
Debra in VA