Old October 19th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Them wobbles - wheel throwing

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" wrote in message
Sorry about the mistake - I could have sworn you had said that your were
firing to 1270 but thought you were only reaching 1250.... I can only
blame the memory on having a virus at the time. It seems we have only
led you down wrong garden paths and have been no help at all. If you
ever get it figured out, please let us know for our own education. Donna

Hey Donna :-)

I said I suspected, but the firing proved me pretty wrong there. And it is
a good thing that you tell me what you think I said, because sometimes I
just don't say things clearly enough!

In my other reply to you, I have outlined what I will do now, and I
promise I will get back to you with results when I try out the new
equipment. In the mean time, I am playing it safe(er).

Have a great weekend!

Marianne

You too! I'm being wild and crazy - driving to the Bronx to pick up
materials. I do know how to have a good time

Donna

P.S. If you decide to try our way of venting here is a doit yourselfer from
Sondahl

Cheap Electric Kiln exhaust
I recently added a cheap kiln vent to my electric kiln. I bought some
flexible aluminum clothes dryer vent and attached it to the bottom peephole
of my kiln with three sheetmetal screws with added washers to keep from
ripping through the thin metal. At the other end of the flexible section I
used standard rigid aluminum dryer vent tubing to get it out of a window.
Outside I added a small fan mounted in an A-frame of plywood (so as to
protect it from rain/snow). From inside I can push the vent tube closer to
the fan to create more suction, or farther from it for less. When I fire a
bisque, I want more suction, to vent the sulphur fumes. You can tell how
effective the venting is by how hot the pipe is getting. It never seems to
get too hot to touch. No longer the taste of sulphur when I fire... Do
bear in mind that in venting out fumes, you are also removing some air from
the room, which must be replaced somehow. If you are in a confined area
with fuel fired appliances (gas hot water, furnace, or woodstove), the draft
created by drawing out kiln gases can also draw into the room some of the
exhaust gases from these other appliances, including carbon monoxide. So
you may need to run a vent hose into the kiln space to equalize pressure.

http://www.sondahl.com/kiln.html