Old September 13th 04, 06:38 PM
Pat in Virginia

Yes, Marcella, kits have been around since at least the thirties.
When I think of a kit I think of a set of fabric packaged with
pattern and instructions. Sometimes the individual shapes are
cut, sometimes they are not. We aren't talking about those kits
here. What is under discussion here are blocks that are
commercially sewn and sold at Joanne's.

Your remark about some people being a bit of a purist is perhaps
a tad strong as response to *my* statement. I specifically stated
that *I* would not care to do *my* quilts that way, but do not
fault anyone who does.

PAT in VA/USA

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

I think this might produce a more "real looking" quilt than a
pre-printed panel does. So perhaps the company figured they could
market the pre-pieced blocks to those who like those panels.

Pre-cut kits have been around what, since the '30's? I had never heard
until recently that someone who used a kit wasn't really making their
own quilt. I think some quilters are getting a bit "purist" about it
all. Are we going to have to start growing our own cotton and weaving
our own cloth before we can really call it our own quilt? ;-)

marcella

Pat in Virginia wrote:
That is not my cup of tea, but it will probably appeal to a variety of
people. Buying commercially made patchwork blocks.... hmm? Is it
really any different than piecing your own top and then paying to have
it commercially quilted? I think not. Either way, I would not feel it
was 'completely' my quilt. I do not fault anyone who wants to work
that way though. To each her own!
PAT, who is too frugal to do either any how!