Old July 9th 03, 03:04 AM
Nicole @ Black Cat Beads

I know... she has my Ass whooped! I have been making beads for 4 years
now.... SHEEZE!!!

nicole

CLP wrote:
You've only been making beads for Nine Months?! I yam impressed.

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message

I have a Fusebox kiln - similar to the one pictured he

http://www.frantzartglass.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={87F1AF7A-0683-444D-AAE5-627666CE107F}&ic=131111&Tp=

I bought mine from Frantz a year or so ago, and the one they have now is

the

updated version with the digital controller attached. I have essentially
the same thing, but my digital controller is a seperate unit, and my kiln

is

blue instead of grey.

The only thing I don't like about my kiln is that it's not bigger.
Seriously, I have filled it up completely and can fit about 50 beads in
there with the little metal shelf. It is big enough to fuse if you want

to.

Frantz has their unit on sale with the digital controller - and it's a
pretty good deal. I think my set was about $150 more when I bought it.

I love the shape of the kiln, and that it fits on the end of my table.

The

ebad doors are in front, which makes it very easy to slip beads in without
losing too much heat, and I don't need gloves to touch to doors or the
mandrels. The controller comes pre-programmed, which, if you're making
beads that aren't freaking huge, works just fine for annealing and for
ramping up if you need to. Also, I haven't seen a huge increase in my
electricity bill, so the kiln is pretty energy efficient.

I did have that one fubar with the kiln not too long ago, but found out

that

it wasn't the kiln - it was a power outage that lasted only a few seconds.
My hubby has since fixed that with a switch.

I am very happy with my kiln - it has met my needs for the 9 months that I
have been making beads. If you tend to make more than 50 smallish

beads

in a session, you may want to step up to a larger size.

Good luck!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message

Arrrgh, I've hardly been able to get on the newsgroup lately, I'm having
withdrawals! (I spend all my free time waiting for the baby to sleep so
I can make beads... I've finally gotten comfortable enough with my torch
to be productive! Yay!)

Anyway, I know this is a subject that gets hashed and rehashed
periodically, and yes, I have seen the recent threads on the Wetcanvas
boards, but I wanted to ask those folks here who have a bead kiln which
kiln they use, what they like about it, what they dislike about it, any
problems they've had, what they wish was different about it, why they
chose it in the first place, whether they would choose the same kiln
again or a different kiln, and why.

I can't afford a new kiln right now, but I am an obsessive comparison
shopper and I MUST buy a bead kiln by the end of the year... using my
top-loading fusing kiln to garage beads is killing my hands and my
energy budget.

Thanks for any input!

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org

--
Nicole
Black Cat Beads