Old October 25th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default The Power of Being Established

wrote:
glassman wrote:
Anyone agree?

--

Nope.

I believe the job volume on stained glass work is down because of the
Chinese imports. In the past, people believed stained glass was
valuable and were willing to pay for it. Low price imports have
created the impression that stained glass lamps and windows are
something you can buy at Home Depot, Costco, and Walmart.

However, I do agree that having an established business provides a
distinctive advantage. Because established businesses enjoy that
advantage, I tell newbie "basement bandits" to price as low as they
can. That's the only advantage they have to compete with established
businesses. Aggressive marketing helps too.

Victorian Art Glass -
http://www.vicartglass.com
DeBrady Glassworks - http://www.debrady.com
Glass Campus - http://www.glasscampus.com

No one in their right mind would even try to compete with the Chinese
glass. Even trying would put one so far under the minimum wage that
they'd lose money. My custom work is booming. Why? Because my stuff
doesn't look like it came from China and my customers are not Chinese
imported crap customers. My retail business is the best it's been.
Summer is always slow so I don't even try to compare that with where
I'm at now. Even my competition is doing well. You may think that
consumers are always looking for a deal but many of them are looking
for quality and Made In the good ole USA!!! My clients want to interact
with me and not just buy some stained glass thing off the shelf.

Adapt or die, Dennis!