Old September 14th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
minkiemink

Default What is the Quality of Gems TV stock (Please see inside)

anyone wrote:
Hi I hope this isn't too off topic but I'm concerned about my Dad - he
seems to have become obsessed with buying the female members of the family
as much Gems TV stuff as he can get hold of - he is convinced it is all top
quality stuff at bargain prices. I'm no expert but having looked at their
stuff, examined the wording of their descriptions - I am sure that they
can't possibly be selling one thousand dollar rings for one hundred & fifty
dollars. I even saw a Tanzanite piece the other month supposedly worth
thirty thousand dollars being offered for four thousand. I think they sell
low grade stuff at low grade prices - what do the experts on this forum
think?
And are there any other similar operations or shop chains in the US &
Europe we should avoid buying from?
regards
anyone

Hi,

Believe it or not, my mother used to work for QVC. Apparently QVC is
the largest single purchaser of gemstones in the world. Who woulda
thunk it? Needless to say, she frequently gave me gifts of gems. Some
were absolutely beyond the pale dreadful. Others were really nice and
quite beautiful. I found the prices for the QVC goods at least fairly
on the mark. even a little cheap sometimes, but I suspect that is a
result of the volume. Can't vouch for other TV gem sites. Some of the
shows I have checked out on cable are absolutely horrific, and the
prices are outrageous.The quotes of the "original price" for these
wonders made my hair stand on end. Heck...the quotes for the "sale
price" of this stuff made my hair stand on end.

Oh yeah....the metal work that they stick many of the gems in at QVC,
were universally, absolute junk. Often very light weight, stamped out
an folded. Ick.

I would be less concerned about actual value of the gems, and worry
more seriously, about dad's sudden change in behavior. Perhaps a trip
to the doctor and some tests might be in order?

Best,

-Mink