Old November 14th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

Default Attention Steve Mills (and other singel fire players) Single Fire Cone 6 Oxidation

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:38:35 -0500, "DKat"
wrote:

Yeah, the great thing about this little mixer is no moving parts to break
down and it cleans up real easily. It would not mill the larger particles
at all (though I'm not sure a blender does either). I just found it for
less money on Amazon.com.

I have saved old glass peanut butter jars for similar purposes.
They hold 2 cups and have 1/4 cup markings on one side and
1/3 cup on the other, with a metal lid having a rubbery sealer.
I use these in the kitchen all the time for measuring and
shaking things up.

For small glaze test batches (100-200 grams) my favorite is
the new plastic containers that frozen juice concentrates
come in. I go through a lot of Welch's Grape Juice, so there
are always plenty available. These are just the right size to
shake really hard with one hand, holding your thumb over
the lid. Since the containers are abundant and free, I just
mark the top with a felt-tip and store as-is. Later, when
you want to use that glaze, you just shake it up and you
are ready to go. Great for detail brushwork, where you don't
need a large batch in the first place.

There are a couple of caveats: When you initially use the
juice and wash out the container, snap the lid back on
right away. If you store the lid separate from the container,
the plastic apparently shrinks or something and it won't
water for a bit.)

Also, the lid has a pretty fine groove that interlocks with the
lip of the container. Excellent seal when new, but the
groove tends to catch drips of glaze that you have to wipe
out (with difficulty) to insure a good seal. Sometimes when
I open a glaze that I haven't used in many months, the
contents have dried out (slightly or a lot) and need to have
water added. But that is pretty easy.

Hope this helps!

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator