Old December 22nd 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Default Needle Sizes

It's because our mothers and grandmothers bought their needles in
three packs and they didn't change them until they broke.

She obviously didn't break that one. I was doing the same thing until
I came on to this list. I only changed my needle when it broke, just
like my Mum! Now I change it when it starts 'thumping'! Or, when I
need a 'jeans', hemstitch or metallic needle.

Do you think those old 'three pack' of Singer needles were tougher
than the ones we now use? They bought them at Murphy's 5 & 10 cent
store, they're all gone now. I only use Schmetz because that is what
my machine likes.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA, it's still cold here!

I went with my friend yesterday to pick up her machine which was being fixed.
Sitting right next to it was another machine which was brought in because is
wouldn't sew. The repair guy said the needle was so old it had worn into a
u-shape.

After I got done cringing, I wondered how that lady didn't notice that
something was wrong with the needle and change it!

Maureen