Old December 21st 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Needle Sizes

So much of this has to do with your own SM. There's a Viking sitting right
here beside me ( I wish!) that belongs to a friend. This particular Viking
much prefers a size 80 needle. I don't even know how to turn that one on
but I do know that a size 80 is preferred. Polly

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
I never use Universals with quilting cottons. I am partial to
topstitching needles for most piecing and quilting- sizes 12 for piecing
and 14 for MQ'ing. I use metallica needles for metallic threads and I have
sizes 16 and 18 and 20 for heavy duty stuff- like the moon over the
mountain quilt. I quilted it in sections and when I joined two sections I
had four layers of stout Kona cotton plus two layer of W&N- then the
thickness of the seams *plus* the 'flap' stitched over the seam allowance.
The was quite a job piercing all those layers! Then I have double needles
and quilting needles and a slew of other ones in many sizes. I even have
some size 8 for machine applique with invisible thread- it makes tiny holes
for that very fine thread.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Kate in MI" wrote in message ...

What is your favorite needle size for basic piecing?

I use sharps -- but have never paid much attention to size. Decided
maybe
I need to learn a little about needles. I understand the numbers (thanks
this:
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...eedle-know-how) --

and I seem to mostly have 12/80.

So what do you use? Sharp? Universal? and what size do you find works
best?

--
Kate in MI