Old September 29th 03, 12:48 PM
wayneinkeywest

Don:
The best way to test temperature is with a pyrometer, but there are other
indicators.
Does the kiln inside look like it has seen too many explosions? Is it all
in good
shape? Has it been used a lot, or overfired (you can usually tell by
looking around
the lid for metal discoloration/ warping, etc. Are the bricks charred and
cracked,
or does it look "like new" inside?
Unless the basement was _very_ damp, storage should have had no effect on
the kiln
and the electronics should still work ok. Depending on use, the elements
might
need replacement, but that is relatively cheap compared to buying a new
kiln.

I recently bought a used (very used) kiln that had been through flooding
from a hurricane.
After making sure that the kiln sitter was adjusted properly, and replacing
the elements,
I crossed my fingers and fired it up. Works like a dream.
A very wise man once said "A kiln is nothing but a big toaster."
Hope that helps,
Wayne in Key West

"Don" wrote in message
om...
I have the opportunity to purchase an electric Kiln from a neighbor.
This Kiln has been setting in the basement for over eight years
without being used. What are the chances of the heating elements and
controller lasting for very long? I'm not experienced with pottery but
have this opportunity to purchase a potters wheel and kiln for hobby
use. They will fire the kiln to insure it works before I puchase it.
What is the best way to test the tempurature it reaches? Any advice
would be appreciated. Thanks

Don