Old January 19th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Leah

Default patterns anyone for bond knitting machine

On 9 Jan 2007 05:12:21 -0800, "
wrote:

i've had my machine for about 3 years and have just recently got it all
set up in a good spot and started really using it. the worst part is
finding good patterns. i'm tired of looking at the same sites.
anyone have any good patterns out there?

Michele

You mention being tired of looking at the same sites, but you didn't
list them. How will we know if we're giving you new links or not?
The major one I've found useful is Stephanie Thornton's Bond page,
which has a couple dozen links, as well as an extensive section of
articles written by Bond users with all kinds of useful tips.
However, if that's the same site you've mentioned, then I'm afraid I
don't have any more sites to offer that aren't already listed on her
links page.

As for the gal who's dropping her work on the floor, she should check
that she's either pulling the yarn up at the end of every row so the
stitch looks like most of the others on the machine or not yanking on
the yarn so hard the stitches are too small, which can cause the work
to fall off. Claw weights on the sides also help prevent dropped
stitches. Some people have bought bargain store forks for a few cents
and bent the tines to stick into the work, and then bent the handle
the other direction where they could put weights on it to keep from
spending a lot on claw weights online. One other point to check is
when the hem and knitting hit the floor. She mentioned doing
something long, a baby blanket. The work will bunch up on the machine
and eventually fall off if the work isn't rolled up so the hem still
hangs down freely to provide tension on the stitches, so that could be
the problem as well. Some people roll up the work and secure it with
clothes pins or even a straight hand knitting needle woven through the
work and hem so that the hem hangs freely. She might also check to
make sure there are no bent needles on the machine, or bent latches.
People who try to go too fast tend to manhandle their machines and
needles get bent, causing them to drop stitches. It could also be
that the machine needs cleaning and/or lubrication. Bond says the USM
doesn't need lubricating, but I disagree. The seams on the machine
can cause the carriage to jump, which can result in dropped stitches.
A cheap 100% paraffin unscented white candle (a white tealight with
all the metal removed) can be used to wax the joints on the machine
and the needle retaining rail to help the carriage glide over. You
can also lightly wax the keyplate where the needles move through it to
help smooth the work out as well. The candle should be white and
unscented because dyes and oils in colored and scented ones can stain
your yarn. HTH

Leah