Old July 9th 04, 04:25 AM
muse9

This first small quilt will be quilted by machine. I will probably just use
a diagonal grid pattern since the quilt is a nine patch. Thanks for your
suggestions Roberta - I learn so much by reading how others do these things!

Bonnie

Roberta wrote:

I am no expert by any means - but...I think the most important thing to
think about is how you are going to quilt it (hand or machine) The way I
understand it - by hand you shouldn't use cotton (or most cottons) it is

too
hard to get through.

Also - the amount of quilting needed depends on the brand. The brand

will
tell you on the bag (or roll) how close together to quilt safely.

Your question about cotton shrinking - I believe your desired look
determines if this is a problem or not. Some cotton batts can be (should
be?) pre-washed.

I myself - when machine quilting- prefer warm and white (or natural). It

is
cotton. I love the way it feels to touch. I do not pre-wash. I like the
crinkly old look that it gives (shhh-I also do not pre-wash my fabric

unless
it is a batik or something dark like red or black)

Just my 2 cents....as I have said I am not an expert by any means - but

many
here are

Roberta (in MD)