Old November 12th 08, 10:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

Default What sells best at a craft show for you?

On Nov 11, 5:22 am, midi73 wrote:
Hi Sterling;
Yes, I can totally understand what you're saying. It gets
discouraging but the people who run the shows don't really care one
way or another it seems as long as they get the spaces filled so they
can pay the building rent and make a profit.

[...]

Most people look at my stuff in a craft show and say, "Wow that's
pretty" or "Gee I wish I could afford that-it's beautiful" or "Oh my
God, how do you DO that ??" and then walk away or buy a $2-5 item.
Mostly, as I said, people buy very cheap stuff and this is not just
the economy--I've noticed it for years. The only time I didn't was at
a bead show in Sisters Oregon and people really understood the quality
and I sold a LOT.
So......I understand where you're coming from... ;-) Sylvia

which is why I'm not doing those "professional craft shows"anymore.
I'm taking every opportunity to get into my glass supplier's fairs
which
are free (and try to advertise as much as I can: the next one is next
Saturday: if you're in Hilo, there's an Artists' Fair at Hilo Art and
Glass
Supply, 318 Kinoole Street, a block up from the Hilo Farmers' Market,
hoping to help keep that store going, we need it, and the people
there are really nice.),
I signed up for the East Hawaii Cultural Center (not for profit org.
that
has art exhibits, local music, etc, mostly free admission, and if I
don't
make it to that fair I'll consider it a contribution to the EHCC) Arts
and
Fine Crafts Fair (the Saturday after Thanksgiving), and considering
sign up for the HIlo High School PTSA craft fair in spite of that I
seriously
doubt that I could possibly make it (and/or have any jewelry inventory
left if the other fairs go half decent), but that's where DD went to
high
school.

I don't think I'll get any more of my rather simple lampwork made
before
the next fair, already told DH that I'm glad he's got his new
computer
because he's not likely going to see a whole lot of me before mid
December (that's more due to work than due to craft fairs), but I'm
still trying to get my stuff out there, only I'm not willing to pay a
whole
lot of money for it at this time. - And I can't say that I'd
particularly
care if the people who put up the expensive events go broke. They
raised
their prices, very few still offer single day events, other than the
not-for
-profits (the YMCA is another one that does, and at a good price, but
I can't possibly do 3 Saturdays this month.).

There's got to be inexpensive events where you are, you may have to
do some of the advertising, but get yourself out there and always
remember
that it isn't a garage sale (even if I put a listing on
hiloyardsales.com today.
Heck, it's free, one more person may read it.)

Maren
HiloBeads: Beads - Beading Supplies - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/
Artists' Fair at Hilo Art and Glass on Sat., Nov. 15, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Art and Fine Crafts Fair at East Hawaii Cultural Center, Sat. Nov. 29,
8-4
Artists' Fair at Hilo Art and Glass on Sat., Dec. 20, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.