Old September 15th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
br

Default rolling mill questions

"lemel_man" a écrit dans le message de news:
Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:

...snip
you'd end up with somewhere in the area of 1.5 mm wide, not ten
millimeters.

snip With more work it could

probably be improved, but in my case its just not worth it.

Regards, Gary Wooding

Thank you both for your very informative and pertinent replies. Only one of
my suppliers (I'm in France) will even consider doing this for me, and won't
give me a quote for at least a week, so I'd like to continue with a few
questions about rolling these pieces myself, although I'm already shying
away from that idea. My decision will, of course, depend on the quote(s) I
get back from my supplier, but at least I will have learned a lot more than
I knew before about rolling mills. I hope your patience won't wear out
before my questions do! Indeed, my calculation of the diameter of wire
(1.2mm) needed was based solely on the cross-sectional surface area, and
didn't take into account the differences between lateral spreading and
elongation. Perhaps starting out with 0.5mm thick by 2 or 3mm wide would be
easier? I doubt that "wobbles and bends" would be a big problem as the disks
will be hand-punched. Am I correct in assuming that the "straightness" of
the ribbon depends on the parallelism of the two rollers? Concerning a
polished surface (only one side needs to be polished); would it be feasible
to use a long strip of highly polished spring steel, run through the mill at
the same time as the gold ribbon, to polish the surface? My kilns have an
argon injection system to reduce oxygen content in our flasks. I could
easily (I hope) avoid the firescale from annealing. Thanks again for the
help. If ever I start to make these myself, I'll be back with a few more
questions!
B.RANDALL
http://www.srdfrance.com