Old October 13th 03, 08:38 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well, I suppose if you're used to doing very lacy crocheted things, then
no, they're not fast. But they're as fast as knitting a patterned
afghan. Anytime you do a large piece, it's going to take some time.

I just don't think of afghan (tunisian) crochet as "slow", especially if
you work in panels, which go pretty quickly. I feel like I'm
accomplishing something when I finish a panel and start another.

and yes, baby crib blankets are much faster than an adult-sized afghan.
But they last forever.

They aren't so heavy if you don't make them in tapestry weight yarns.
Mary Maxim used to have such beautiful patterns, but normally worked in
heavier yarns. Yes, they weigh a ton, especially when embroidered!
Dianne

Joan Erickson wrote:

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Speaking of crochet, an exquisite ground for cross stitch embroidery
is tunisian (afghan) crochet and they whip up quickly.

I certainly didn't find it to work up quickly, Dianne (although the
stitch is pretty easy to do)! You have to do each row (essentially)
twice. It took me over a year to make the afghan for my sister! Of
course, it wasn't baby-sized, either. And talk about heavy!!! It was a
Native American-type geometric pattern from Mary Maxim about 10 years
ago. I started it in the summer, thinking I'd give it to Dsis for her
b-day in Oct. Nope, maybe Christmas. Wasn't done then, either. I
finally finished it right before her b-day the following year. And I
didn't work on anything else during that time, either. It came out
really nice, though, and she really loves it and still uses it, so I
guess it was worth the effort.
As always, YMMV!