Old May 8th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Default Thimble substitutes?

I wonder how long it would take to make a needle hole in the pad??
Does anyone know if this happens with continued use? jennellh

On May 7, 4:42*pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
On May 7, 10:18*am, jennellh wrote:

I am looking for a thimble substitute since I have never been able to
hand sew with one! *While stitching down the binding on the yellow
table runner, I managed to puncture a hole through my right index
finger nail - I was using the backside of that nail to push the needle
through the hem and naturally after making the hole, the needle kept
poking through it. *I need more calcium! *When I was doing more hand
sewing, I had an almost-permanent needle callous on my right middle
finger tip that was very useful. *I guess that I am looking for an
finger callous substitute and not a thimble? *Any suggestions??
jennellh

have you tried one of the stick on pads? I think you can get both ones
intended as thimbles and *as needle grips, I wouldn't say I'm entirely
sold on them, but like others I've never mastered a thimble and I do
find these can be a help, but wouldn't stick on on straight away, only
once I saw or felt that the skin on my finger wasn't going to hold out
much longer!

Anne