Old October 16th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default Door County Report

What a lovely trip! Door County is a wonderful place, and one I enjoy
visiting occasionally. My first visit was flying to Washington Island
with my mother, which has a very nice little grass strip airport not
too far from School House Beach. Since we arrived several hours
before my sister and her daughter, we had no transportation to the
hotel, and the phone wasn't working, but there was a rather raggedy,
dirty fellow with a junky car full of fishing gear who offered to take
us to the hotel. We tried to pay him for the ride (he really looked
as though he could use the money), but he just laughed and refused.
The hotel owner told us who he was -- a news anchor from Chicago who
owned a cabin and liked to fish! My second visit to the island was a
driving trip with just my sister, and we had a great time then, too.
I met some women sitting on a porch knitting, and learned a couple of
really handy things about working with color patterns.

The rest of Door County is a lot more crowded, especially during
summer, but is still lovely! One of my favorite little-bitty
cookbooks is from Door County, and I found some wonderful yarn in one
of the small shops, used it to knit a sweater for myself, and wore it
until it literally was in tatters and had gone through so many small
repairs that it was like something Compo would wear on Last of the
Summer Wine -- if Compo knew how to repair holes.

It sounds as though you had exactly the right sort of trip!