Old February 6th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maria O[_2_]

Default OT-Seed Cake was .... Time for another Roll Call?

In the States, it can be hard to find seed for poppies. The Govt.
prohibits the sale and propagation of Papaver somniferum, but if you
go to the store and buy a jar of poppy seeds for baking, you're
getting the same thing. I tried germinating some from the bottle, and
they worked fine, as long as they were fairly fresh. The ones I got,
2/$1 at Wally World, hadn't been heated or treated, and their shelf
life was about two years, and a lot cheaper than catalog seeds.

My DD#2 used to spit up very frequently, so much so that her nickname
was Barfie, and my Grandma taught me to make a tisane for her of
caraway seeds with a little sugar. She liked it a lot better than
plain water, and the carminative action helped to relieve her gas and
upchucking. It's a folk remedy for flatulence, too.

Maria in NE PA

be sure they are the right kind of poppies.
there is only one kind of poppy seeds you can use to bake with the others are
toxic.
its the seeds from the opium poppy oddly enough.
in the usa the growing of those poppys is strictly monitored by the govt
apparently.
this was just info i found online. you might find otherwise and it might be
different in oz as well.
beats heck outta me,
j.